Friday, May 22, 2009

Ode to Spring


I kept meaning to start Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle New York Times Bestseller, but it wasn't until I paid for my membership at my local CSA when I began to slowly open the book and begin to read. "Asparagus ... it is the very first one to leap up in springtime, offering edible biomass when other vegetables are still at the seedling stage." (p. 29) Here is my favorite asparagus recipe.

Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Browned Butter
2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
Cooking Spray
Kosher Salt & Pepper
2T butter
2t soy sauce
1t balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400. Arrange asparagus in a single layer on baking sheet. Coat asparagus in a single layer on baking sheet. Coat asparagus with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt ans pepper. Bake 12 minutes. In the meantime, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in soy sauce and vinegar. Drizzle over asparagus. Toss to coat. Serve immediately. Serves 8.

As I wait for the first distribution from the farm, I head to the studio and begin working on an asparagus platter to commemorate the beginning of a new relationship between Food & Pottery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

post comments here