Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Pick Up Begins
The first day of pick up at my local CSA has me thinking about how to manage what I will receive. Making soup seems like a good idea. Here is a great soup recipe my friend sent me.
Kale and White Bean Soup with Chicken Sausage
2 1/2 T olive oil
1 med onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garic, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
2 med carrots, cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 med potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 quarts water
1/2 bunch kale (about 1/2 lb)
1 can (15oz) small white beans, drained and rinsed
3 chicken sausages, thinly sliced
1 T dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pot, heat 2 T of olive oil. Add onion, garlic, and bay leaf. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Lower heat to med-low and cook, stiring occassionaly for 15 minutes.
2. Add carrots, potatoes and water to onion mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower heat, cover pot and simmer 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, wash kale thoroughly. Slice off and discard center stems on the leaves. Slice leaves crosswise into fine strips.
4. Add kale and beans to soup. Return to a boil. Lower heat, cover pan and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
5. In a skillet, heat the remaining 1/2 T olive oil over medium heat. Add sausages and cook, turning often, until browned. Add the cooked sausages to the soup with the mustard, salt and pepper.
6. Recover the pot and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes. Serves 6.
I'll need a covered dish and a couple of soup bowls to try out new recipies.
Posted by Unknown