Having been to the Providence Flower Show a few weeks ago, I've been dreaming of spring buds. Finally we've had crocus petals popping up and daffodils following. Leafing though a new cookbook from my mother, I found this delicious recipe with flowers, fruit, cheese - ingredients that are good to eat now as we await the new harvest.
Hearty Greens with Pear, Blue Cheese and Chives - serves 4 as a starter
Recipies from the Garden by Rosalind Creasy
4 large handfuls of mixed salad greens: lettuces, spinach, endive, raddicho
1 T lemon juice
2 ripe Bartlett pears
8 thin triangles of blue cheese
1/4 cup nonfat yogurt
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp curry powder
3 T snipped chives
1 tsp honey
salt and fresh ground pepper
Garnish: chive leaves and blossoms
1. Make dressing and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Wash and dry mixed greens. Divide onto 4 plates.
3. Cut pears into 1/2 inch strips and dip in bowl of lemon juice and water before placing on greens. Arrange 4-6 slices on each plate.
4. Place 2 slices of blue cheese on side of plate.
5. Garnish with chive.
6. Pour dressing into a bowl and serve with salads.
Handthrown bowls with painted floral motifs...