Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Clay Baskets and Chocolate Eggs

While vacationing in North Carolina this past summer, I visited Seagrove.  In their shop, I spotted a wonderful little clay basket. You can see it on the bottom shelf in the photo to the left. 

I thought: "You can only make that in clay!"

When I began to create my spring collection, I knew I wanted to include a basket.

My interpretation... wheel thrown and pinched.  
Hand pulled handle across with a swirl stamp.


I like the contrast between a soft white "liner" and 
a strong colored glaze for the exterior. 
The baskets hold flowers.  They would work well as a gift for Mother's Day.
I can imagine a flower girl in a wedding using one. 



The Easter bunny arrives on Sunday morning! 



The Food & Pottery Connection:

CHOCOLATE EASTER EGG RECIPE
http://www.painlesscooking.com/easter-candy-recipes.html
  • 1 lb powdered sugar
  • 6 oz melted semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 3 oz softened cream cheese
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 ½ to 3 Tbls hot water
  • Dash salt
  • 2 lbs melted dipping chocolate
  • Candy decorations
1. Blend ½ pound powdered sugar with melted chocolate chips, cream cheese, vanilla, hot water and salt.
2. With hands, work in remaining 1/2 lb powdered sugar.
3. Shape mixture into small balls; then shape balls into egg shapes.
4. Dip eggs into melted dipping chocolate; let set to harden.
5. Decorate for Easter.

Food: chocolate Easter eggs
Pottery: candy baskets

Make a bunny workshop-
I will teach kids, 1st grade an older, to create a bunny from clay. The workshop will teach pinch and pull, plus scratch and slip techniques.

Sign ups are open now for Wednesday, April  18 class through the dedham guild.




No comments:

Post a Comment

post comments here