Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Lily of the Valley

1982 Postage Stamp
On Saturday, my cooperative studio, Potters Place has their BIG studio clean up in preparation for Spring Show & Sale on May 4,5 & 6. 

I've been concentrating my work on the show's theme: Flora & Fauna

Using postage stamps for inspiration, the "LOVE" stamp has proved to be a favorite.  I use small square dishes or tiles, as a painter would use oil sketches, to do much of my experimenting for larger work. For this series, I began by playing with the flowers that make up each letter in the LOVE stamp.

L
O
V
E
I liked the "E" dish best and although it did not start out as Lily of the Valley on the stamp, it became that to me.  I choose that design and translated it to other forms.
Tumbler with white liner and baby blue rim

Bowl with floral motif
Wheel thrown mugs with slip-trailing decoration
Plate with carved rim
The Food & Pottery Connection:
 Today, it is the pottery that inspires the food...

Fill the Plate with carved rim with roasted asparagus; it's in season! Fill one bowl with floral motif with jasmine rice and the other bowl with a green salad with cut veggies to bring in color.  Fill a tumbler with your favorite beverage to complement your menu, the other tumbler can hold a small bouquet of flowers for the table. The finale: a cup of tea in a mug with slip trailed decoration and shortbread cookies served on "E" dish. What a delicious spring meal inspired by my Lily of the Valley spring collection!


Roasted Asparagus

2 bunches asparagus, dry ends snapped off
Line a roasting pan with foil and spray with olive oil
Place asparagus on pan in single layer, coat with more olive oil
     and sprinkle with kosher salt
Roast in a 450 oven for 12 minutes
In a small skillet, brown butter, add balsamic vinegar and reduce
When asparagus is done, move to serving plate and drizzle with
     vinegar.



Visit my website to see more Flora & Fauna inspired work.


1 comment:

  1. WillowTree has left a new comment on your post "Lily of the Valley":

    Love the motifs they are so beautiful and natural.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

post comments here