Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Soda Fire

Last week I finished up a workshop on soda fire.  It gave me a whole new way of looking at surface decoration.  I then took my new pieces to a Farm Stand at Powessit and shared my new work with CSA members.  Here are some photos of my new work:
Soda Fire Cups 


Carbon Trap Bowls


Leaf Bowl
I made sure when I was glazing to choose food safe liners as I wanted all my work to be usable as vessels for serving and eating from.  I might not throw these in the dishwasher as I would my cone 6 ware because the results are so unique and hand-washing would add yet another way of interacting with the work.

What would I serve in my new work; well, what's in season?  There will be beans in the garden today, so my suggestion would be a SLAW!  Here is the recipe from the Powessit Blog.  Enjoy!

Powessit Slaw
created by Tod Dimmick


1 pint green beans
1 apple, sliced, with peel
4-5 carrots
4-5 scallions, minced
a handful of basil leaves, minced
a handful of parsley leaves, minced

Juice of 1/2 lemon
4 TB good olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Run the beans, apple slices, and carrots through a food processor equipped with a shredding disk. Scrape that mixture into a serving bowl, and stir in the scallions, basil and parsley. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil, and toss. Distribute to serving plates, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.


If you would like to see more of my soda fire work, click the link on the right to access my flickr account.  

1 comment:

post comments here