Tuesday, October 27, 2009

To the freezer we go!


The regular pick up at my CSA has ended and I'm transitioning from the bounty of fresh vegetables to making do with what I've stored away in my freezer. A few weeks ago I froze fresh cooked pumpkin, so I pulled a 2 cup bag out to cook up something "fresh". I doubled my stand-by pumpkin muffin recipe and then added things such as chopped walnuts to the top of 6, a few chocolite chips to another 6, a few raisins to another 6, and kept the rest plain. I froze a few of each and our family enjoyed a few of each too.

Pumpkin Muffins - makes 16
Joy of Cooking (copyright 2006)

Grease muffin liners with cooking spray.
Preheat oven to 400.

Combine 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, 2/3c sugar, 1/2c vegetable oil, 1t vanilla, 1 cup cooked pumpkin mashed.

Combine and add to wet ingredients: 2 cups flour, 1T baking powder, 1/2t salt, 1/3c sugar, 1t cinnamon, 1t nutmeg.

Cook 20 minutes. Cool 2 minutes in tin. Remove to cool.

I think I need another big bowl for mixing...